Monday 27 July 2015

Sunderland - Part 1

Hi guys,

Ok, so I began writing up this post on the 7th of July and as I am writing now it is the 27th of July. I honestly couldn't face coming back to this post to finish it off but since I got writing a new post this evening (More holidaying) I figured since I had put a lot of time and effort into this post I might as well try and do something more with it instead of leaving it to sit in drafts. So, I have decided to now do this blog post in two parts. What you can read below is going to be the first part and hopefully I'll be able to get the motivation to do part two :P :) So without further ado, here is part 1 to my trip to Sunderland at the end of June :)

So, as I mentioned I was in Sunderland for a few days two weeks ago. I went over to visit my cousin who is from Scotland and who I usually only see once a year. So this trip was in planning since early January (we were just too excited :P ) and so I had my flights booked at the end of May for June 18th to 22nd. I flew with Ryanair as they had better prices and flying times than others.
As I was only going for a few days I decided I would use my small pink Nike gearbag and just bring it as my hand luggage because I didn't fancy paying and extra €50 to bring a normal check-in bag for the sake of 4 days. So I through a few bits into the bag the night before I was heading off, trying to keep it as light as possible as I was sure I'd have loads of new bits coming home :P I was up early (4am) on the Thursday morning to get the bus to Dublin Airport at 5.15am to be there at 8am. Once I got there I just went straight through security and got myself a cup of tea and went to the toilet and sure by the time I got back from that the queue for boarding had already lined up and we were on the plane and in the air in no time.

I arrived at Newcastle International Airport around 11am and I was greeted by my cousin. We got to her car, took a selfie for Facebook (#cousinsontour), set the satnav and we headed off for the massive shopping centre the Metro Centre which is about 20 minutes from Newcastle I believe. Firstly we sorted our priorities and got ourselves some food (McDonalds of course :P ) and after that we just started to stroll around the different colour zones of the shopping centre browsing all the shops. I couldn't believe it though, we had been going around the shops from about 12 until 4 or 5 and I hadn't bought a thing  :O I was pretty shocked as I had packed so little as I was sure that I'd buy loads at the Metro Centre, but no! Not a single piece of fabric. Now it wasn't all failure as I did buy a lovely ring at one of the jewellers in their (we both actually got the same rings #twinsies :D ). By about 5 we had most definitely shopped until we were ready to drop so we decided to head for home in Sunderland and get ourselves some Dominoes for dinner. The drive back to the house about about a half an hour or forty minutes. We plonked ourselves down on the couch and ordered our food. We got dinner and dessert and wrapped ourselves up in some blankets (it was absolutely freezing for those 4 days D: ) and we watched Love Island (nothing beats crappy TV shows during the summer) and then we watched one of my all time favourite movies, Sweet Home Alabama <3 By midnight after all my travelling and shopping it was bedtime.






On the second day we knew we couldn't do any thing too time consuming as we were going out to dinner with some of my cousin's work colleagues. I had been looking at things to do in Sunderland online and I had seen this cool looking monument but it was just pictures of it I saw so after some investigation I figured out it was the Penshaw Monument. We decided that it would be cool to go and see it even though we knew that there would be nothing to do there just look at it and that it could have ended up being a waste of time. However, we checked the Satnav on the phone and realised that it was only ten minutes away from us so we just went for it. It was on a hill so I knew I'd need better footware then my little pumps. We stopped into Asda on the way and I got a pair of runners that are the image of the new Skechers. I was delighted with them as they were the last pair they had and luckily they were in my size. It was even better when I got to the till as they had been marked £12 but then they ended up £6 so happy days :D I also had to stock up on bottles of water as the tap water in Sunderland is disgusting!!! I am a big water drinker, I often drink between 2 to 3 litres a day so having (drinkable) water at hand was essential. So everyday of my visit we went to Asda to buy bottles of water to get me through the day :P  Anyway runners and water at hand we headed off to the monument. We parked the car and put our runners on and after taking a few selfies and pictures we began to tackle the hilly walk. It was a quick walk (well it would have been much quicker had we not been stopping every minute for a another pic of the same view and a selfie :P ), it took us about ten maybe fifteen minutes at most to the top to the monument. The monument itself was so cool and it really looked like an ancient Greece temple. The views from the top were so great! You get a full 360 degree view all around you of Sunderland so the trip up is well worth it :) After a couple of minutes at the top we headed back down to the car and headed back home as we were heading out to dinner that evening.
















So that's part 1 over, I hope you enjoyed :) Hopefully part two will follow where I'll talk about Alnwick Castle and Durham. For now I have another post about my exciting trip tomorrow that is love and I'm sure I'll have plenty of posts/pics on my Facebook and Instagram so keep an eye out :D

Chat soon,
Kate! Xx






No comments:

Post a Comment